Webliography on Creating Web Pages
A brief listing of sites to help you learn: HyperText Markup Language(HTML), how to design web pages, how to work with graphics, where to get HTML editors and how to validate your HTML pages.
- Introduction to HTML: A Web Tutorial - infopeople.org/resources/tutorials/html/ - developed by the Infopeople Project.
- HTML Do's and Don'ts - infopeople.org/resources/internet/htmltips - Advice on the best ways to learn HTML and what to do and not do when designing a website. From an Infopeople Workshop on designing web pages for your library. Updated.
General Reference and Basic HTML Code Sites
- Barebones Guide to HTML - werbach.com/barebones/ - Listing of all of the HTML tags, with links to other questions.
- HTML Help by the Web Design Group (WDG) - www.htmlhelp.com/ - Great all-around information to help you design a website. Includes a Reference section on HTML, a glossary, advice on design elements such as graphics and colors, and links to tutorials, style guides, and validators. "The Web Design Group was founded to promote the creation of non-browser specific, non-resolution specific, creative and informative sites that are accessible to all users worldwide."
- HTML/XML Quick References - html.about.com/msubquick.htm - This page from About.com links you to several good HTML/XML help/tutorial sites.
- Make an HTML Document - www.webmonkey.com/2010/02/make_an_html_document/ - Go through this brief tutorial for some added reinforcement in the basics of HTML.
Design and Style of HTML Pages
Add Graphic Elements to your Document
HTML Editors, Code, Link, and Spelling Checkers
- LinkScan - www.elsop.com/quick/ - Tool for running a real-time link validation and HTML syntax check on a single document just by entering the URL of the page you wish to check.
- List of HTML Editors - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_HTML_editors - Fairly comprehensive list of text, WYSIWYG, shareware and commercial HTML editors.
- W3C HTML Validator - validator.w3.org/ - From W3C, the organization responsible for HTML. Excellent.
- WDG HTML Validator - www.htmlhelp.com/tools/validator/ - Another good validator. Also allows you to check your files still on your computer.
- Spelling Checker - www.siteowner.com/sitecheck.cfm - Enter a URL and this program will retrieve the document and spell check it. Any HTML markup is automatically ignored. An easy way to check documents for mistakes without having to deal with the problems of a traditional spell checker flagging markup code. Your pages do need to be on the web.
- Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool - wave.webaim.org/ - WAVE is a free web accessibility evaluation tool. It allows you to plug in URLs, paste in text, or upload files for checking. You can also download a Firefox toolbar.