Low Cost Space Planning and Remodeling Workshop - Description
- Is your building bursting at the seams, but your budget isn't?
- Is your furniture paying homage to the 1960s or 70s?
- Would you like to merchandise your collections a little more?
- Would you like your library to be a little "greener"?
- Can't afford a consultant to help with a remodel?
Shrinking dollars have put a new library facility out of reach for many of us, making low cost remodels a great option. But a low cost remodel involves most of the tasks of planning a new library from selecting materials to planning a realistic budget and schedule. In this practical workshop participants will learn how to sequence events and how to keep a handle on their budget while incorporating some of the latest trends in signage, materials and finishes. This workshop will provide the skills, tips, and tools necessary to plan and manage a low cost remodel project.
Workshop Description: This all day on-ground workshop will provide a combination of hands-on, discussion, and presentation. Participants will do simple space planning calculations, use an architectural scale, evaluate various materials, prepare a renovation schedule, and navigate priority-setting decisions. Small groups will work together to evaluate a floor plan and present a recommendation for a remodel strategy. The instructor will provide images of successful (and not) renovations, case studies, and tools for evaluating the success of a project.
Participants will learn to do basic space planning and measure scaled floor plans, to evaluate options and trade offs in a renovation, simple strategies for a greener building, how to phase renovations which include carpet and shelving, new trends in signage and basic merchandising techniques on a limited budget.
Preliminary Course Outline
- Getting Started Without a Consultant
- Why remodel?
- Evaluating options
- Space planning simplified
- Measuring plans and testing options
- Finding Space
- Staff space
- Trends and Special Topics
- Finish treatments
- Quick fixes
- Inexpensive signage fixes
- Sustainability: simple green strategies
- Service desks on a budget
- Getting Down to the Nitty-Gritty
- Post project evaluation
- Group Project
- Decision making
Workshop Instructor: Linda Demmers