You are here
Makerspaces in Libraries: Legal Considerations
An Infopeople Webinar
Start Time: Pacific - 12 Noon, Mountain - 1 PM, Central - 2 PM, Eastern - 3 PM
Presenter: Mary Minow
Your community is supercharged about the new makerspace planned for your library. All systems are full speed ahead, and the staff is ready. But wait. Have you considered all the issues? For instance,
- Do you know about the liability issues inherent in makerspace programs?
- What can your library do to protect itself from liability?
- What elements should be in user waivers and in partnership agreements?
- Can the library protect itself from intellectual property liability when patrons use library equipment to create and copy all types of works using library tools and equipment such as 3D printers?
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will understand ways to:
- Minimize liability through waivers and insurance
- Point users to intellectual property resources to minimize their risks
- Register the library with U.S. Copyright Office to minimize its exposure to copyright liability from user generated content
- Frame a partnership agreement with an outside provider
This webinar will be of interest to library program planners, Administration, and those interested in makerspace activities.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Register Now button (at the top and bottom of this page). If registering with less than 30 MINUTES from the start of the webinar you can join directly from the thank you page by clicking the Join Now button. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event.
- Infopeople webinars can be viewed on iOS devices. Adobe® Connect™ Mobile for iOS
- Webinar archive of this event will be available within 24 hours or sooner
- Webinar Tips
- Test your browser for compatibility
Keywords: Makerspace, Legal Issues