- Do you find yourself repeating the same steps over and over again with your users (placing holds, renewing items, checking records)?
- Do you need to teach your staff a new skill (ILS/ALS change, new policy, Office '07)?
- How many times have you explained in person or on the phone how to search your catalog and online databases?
While explaining/showing people personally is important, you can also create an instructional screencast that they can access any time that they're on a computer (especially at their point of need)!
Screencasting software allows you to record your on-screen actions with an audio recording of your voice explaining what to do—just post/link the recording to the web, and your customers/staff can learn a process, procedure, policy...anytime, anywhere!
Workshop Description: This full-day workshop will provide you with an opportunity to create simple online screencasts. Working with the instructor you will record, produce, and publish practical screencasts and take away the knowledge to do many more on your own. The instructor will provide a straightforward "How To" manual that will include step-by-step procedures, methods to get the most from your screencasts, and a list of resources for further learning about the procedural aspects of screencasting and the pedagogical benefits of screencasts.
(Optional) Pre-workshop assignment: Interested in seeing some examples of what you'll be able to do? Just check out: www.stevegarwood.com/infopeople 
Preliminary Course Outline
- Introductions & What Is Screencasting?
- Library applications of screencasting
- What you need to get started
- The Basics of Screencast Recording
- Camtasia software tour
- Set up before you record
- Create your first recording (with me and solo)
- Producing Your Recording
- File types and production settings overview
- Production of recording in various file formats
- Publishing Your Screencast to the World/Wrap Up
- How to make screencasts available via the web
- Using an online hosting service for screencasts
- Wrap up "Quiz" for fabulous prizes
Workshop Instructor: Steve Garwood