Infopeople Webcast Series: Technology Tuesdays--Tips, Trends, and Tools of the Trade
Tuesday, September 9, 12:00 noon to 1:00 p.m.
HANDLING THE WORKLOAD WITHOUT ADDING STAFF
Instructor: Joan Frye Williams
- Magnetic stripe (or chip) card readers
- Self check
- Uses: Check out
- See It in Action: San Jose Public Library
- Sample Vendors: Usually purchased from your circulation system vendor
- Ballpark Cost: $20-25,000 per station
- Radio frequency i.d.
- Automated materials sorting
- Uses: Speed up materials sorting, distribution
- See It in Action: Airport baggage handling systems
Farmington Hills (MI) Library
Seattle Public Library
- Sample Vendors: http://www.tech-logic.com
- Ballpark Cost: $50,000+
- ONIX (Online Information eXchange)
- Uses: Enhance the OPAC with additional information
Lower cost per cataloging record
- See It in Action: http://barnesandnoble.com
- Sample Vendors: http://www.editeur.org/onixmarc.html
- Ballpark Cost: One time conversion cost - $.25/title?