ADA Update: Revised Regulations for Disability Accommodations for the Public
Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Start Time: Pacific - Noon, Mountain - 1:00 PM, Central - 2:00 PM, Eastern - 3:00 PM
- Has your library recently added ebooks, podcasts, or other new electronic resources?
- Are you planning a renovation? Just finished one?
- Working to redesign your library website?
- Is that marmoset really a legally designated service animal?
Some of the newly revised American with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations take effect on March 14, 2011, and more are in the works. Libraries face new challenges and requirements for meeting both the spirit and letter of the law.
At the end of this webinar, attendees will understand the new ADA:
- accommodation requirements for libraries for users with disabilities
- federal regulations that redefine "service animals"
- standards for electronic resources, including websites
- accessible building design
- grievance procedures
An overview of the ADA Best Practices Tool Kit for State and Local Government will also be presented.
This one-hour webinar will be of interest to library staff involved with accessibility issues, involved in building renovation projects, or working with special needs library users.
Do you require an accommodation?
Closed captioning will be provided upon request. For this service, please notify firstname.lastname@example.org at least 48 hours before the webinar
Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.
Webinar: Wednesday, February 16, 2011
Time: 12pm-1pm Pacific Time
Presenter: Mary Minow
- Speaker's slides
- Key Resources: doc format [29kb] - pdf format [1kb]
- Guidelines for Assisting People with Disabilities During Main Library Emergency Evacuations docx format [34kb] - pdf format [91kb]
- SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND KANAWHA COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY BOARD, WEST VIRGINIA UNDER THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: pdf format only [163kb]
- Evaluating Web Sites for Accessibility: Overview: http://www.w3.org/WAI/eval/