Beyond MedlinePlus: Resources That Answer Those Other Tough Health Reference Questions
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Session #4 of the Health e-Shows Series
For health-related questions, knowing the best resource is a key component of providing exceptional reference services. MedlinePlus is a great place to start for many questions, but where do you turn for those other difficult questions? For example, library users might want to know about specifics about how a medication will affect breastfeeding and if there are better alternatives. They may ask to see new research studies on experimental treatments for cancer. Or a question might be about toxic substances in plastic bottles, or the likelihood of whether a particular disease will be passed on to children. At times, librarians will be asked to search for a full-text article from a medical journal that can be printed right at the library.
This webinar will provide a look at free, high-quality resources that will answer these and many other difficult health-related questions. The session will be useful for public librarians and staff, hospital librarians, health educators, nurses and anyone who provides health information to members of the public. Learning about these resources will provide attendees with a robust "bag of tricks" to take your reference services to the next level.
Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.
Speaker: Kelli Ham
Please download PowerPoint so you can follow along during podcast.
- Speaker's slides
- Speaker's handouts
The Health e-Shows Series - Information
Infopeople is offering eight webcasts as part of a new consumer health series: Health e-Shows. The sessions will be presented by Kelli Ham, Consumer Health Coordinator, NN/LM Pacific Southwest Region, UCLA Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library.
- Session #1 - A Younger Generation of Older Adults: Health Information for Boomers (Archived October 22, 2007)
- Session #2 - Communicating about Health: Empowering Patrons to Communicate with Their Health Care Providers (December 3, 2007)
- Session #3 - An In-depth Look at MedlinePlus (March 4, 2008)
- Session #4 - Beyond MedlinePlus: Resources That Answer Those Other Tough Health Reference Questions (May 14, 2008)
- Session #5 - I Don't Give Medical Advice; I Dispense Quality Health Information (June 19, 2008)
- Session #6 - Understanding Health Literacy: Why It Is So Important and What Librarians Can Do to Help (August 14, 2008)
- Session #7 - Health Information for Kids and Teens and Seniors, Oh My! (October 28, 2008)
- Session #8 - Finding Easy-to-Read and Multilingual Health Information for Your Patrons (December 1, 2008)