Communicating about Health: Empowering Patrons to Communicate with Their Health Care Providers
Monday, December 3, 2007
Session #2 of the Health e-Shows Series
Health questions are routinely asked at the reference desk, and often information is provided with additional encouragement to discuss the findings with the patron’s doctor. However, communicating with the health care provider may not be easy for many people for a variety of reasons. How can patients ask all of their questions if they only see the doctor for just five or ten minutes? What if there are cultural or language barriers? What can libraries or other information providers do to help people be active participants in their own health care?
This webcast is geared to libraries and organizations that provide health information to the public, covering issues and resources around the topic of communication between patients and their health care team. The first segment of the webcast will focus on issues concerning barriers to communication, the complexity of the health care system, end-of-life issues, patient safety and patient rights. The remaining time will be devoted to the best resources and most effective strategies to help your patrons learn about communicating with their health care providers in order to take an active role in their health.
Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.
Speaker: Kelli Ham
- Speaker's slides
The Health e-Shows Series - Information
Infopeople is offering eight webcasts as part of a new consumer health series: Health e-Shows. The sessions will be presented by Kelli Ham, Consumer Health Coordinator, NN/LM Pacific Southwest Region, UCLA Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library.
- Session #1 - A Younger Generation of Older Adults: Health Information for Boomers (Archived October 22, 2007)
- Session #2 - Communicating about Health: Empowering Patrons to Communicate with Their Health Care Providers (December 3, 2007)
- Session #3 - An In-depth Look at MedlinePlus (March 4, 2008)
- Session #4 - Beyond MedlinePlus: Resources That Answer Those Other Tough Health Reference Questions (May 14, 2008)
- Session #5 - I Don't Give Medical Advice; I Dispense Quality Health Information (June 19, 2008)
- Session #6 - Understanding Health Literacy: Why It Is So Important and What Librarians Can Do to Help (August 14, 2008)
- Session #7 - Health Information for Kids and Teens and Seniors, Oh My! (October 28, 2008)
- Session #8 - Finding Easy-to-Read and Multilingual Health Information for Your Patrons (December 1, 2008)