Genealogy Resources on the Internet - Oregon
The workshops are free and open to public library staff. Lunch and snacks will be provided for all participants. Registration is limited.
Supported by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Are your patrons asking you to help them find their ancestors?
- Can you guide them through the maze of genealogical websites?
- Where should you turn for authoritative Internet directories?
- Who has the most extensive genealogical databases?
- Did you know it is possible to check on genealogical resources right down to the county level for every state in the US?
Come learn how to advise your patrons on the best Web sites and sophisticated Internet sources in support of the world's most popular hobby - Genealogy.
Workshop Description: This all-day workshop will provide participants with insights into the numerous facets of genealogical research and the many genealogical resources offered on the Internet. The course is designed to help you help your patrons work more efficiently and effectively in their search for information about ancestral lines. You will learn where to search for the right Web pages and how to recommend sites for both beginning and experienced researchers. Hands-on exercises will solidify new concepts and practical, useful tips can be applied immediately.
- Preparing for Genealogical Research on
- Get the whole picture
- Listen for the real question
- Follow the Five-Step process
- Guides to Genealogical Resources
- Overviews for the beginner
- Expert sources and tools
- Ways to keep up
- Talk to the Experts
- Societies and associations
- Give and take of information
- Connecting with kin
- Getting to the Primary Sources
- From the cradle to the grave - records of church and state
- Where did they come from? - european emigrants
- Where did they settle? - immigration and census
Who Should Attend: Oregon public library staff
Prerequisites: Ability to navigate on the Web, to use search engines and to bookmark Web pages
Check-in: 8:30 to 9 AM Instruction: 9 AM to 4:30 PM