Health Information for Kids and Teens and Seniors, Oh My!
Tuesday, October 28, 2008
Session #7 of the Health e-Shows Series
Whether it's reading a funny story about germs and hand washing to preschoolers or helping a senior citizen learn about an upcoming surgery, providing health information is a common and very important task for librarians. Much attention is given to topics such as best practices for the health reference interview, cultural sensitivity, and health literacy. But what are best practices for serving users in different age groups? How do the needs of a teenager differ from a senior citizen? What are some ways to engage users through fun and interactive programs, regardless of age?
This webinar will explore the health information needs and information seeking behaviors of kids, teens, boomers and seniors. You will discover some new resources and some tricks in getting to fantastic resources for different age groups using MedlinePlus. We will present resources for fun, interactive, quality health programming for all ages and also discuss strategies for partnering with a variety of organizations and schools in your community. Keep your users informed about their health, and have some fun along the way!
Webinars are free of charge and registration is only done on the day of the event on the WebEx server. No passwords are required.
Speaker: Kelli Ham
Please download PowerPoint to follow along.
- Speaker's slides
The Health e-Shows Series - Information
Infopeople is offering eight webcasts as part of a new consumer health series: Health e-Shows. The sessions will be presented by Kelli Ham, Consumer Health Coordinator, NN/LM Pacific Southwest Region, UCLA Louise M. Darling Biomedical Library.
- Session #1 - A Younger Generation of Older Adults: Health Information for Boomers (Archived October 22, 2007)
- Session #2 - Communicating about Health: Empowering Patrons to Communicate with Their Health Care Providers (December 3, 2007)
- Session #3 - An In-depth Look at MedlinePlus (March 4, 2008)
- Session #4 - Beyond MedlinePlus: Resources That Answer Those Other Tough Health Reference Questions (May 14, 2008)
- Session #5 - I Don't Give Medical Advice; I Dispense Quality Health Information (June 19, 2008)
- Session #6 - Understanding Health Literacy: Why It Is So Important and What Librarians Can Do to Help (August 14, 2008)
- Session #7 - Health Information for Kids and Teens and Seniors, Oh My! (October 28, 2008)
- Session #8 - Finding Easy-to-Read and Multilingual Health Information for Your Patrons (December 1, 2008)