Koha for System Administrators
Format: Computer Lab
Special discounted pricing available for Open Source – Open Libraries Consortium members. Use the following coupon codes to receive discounted pricing if you are a member of:
- Pacific Library Partners: PLP ($30)
- NorthNet: NN ($30)
- Southern California Library Cooperative: SOCAL ($30)
- Califa: CALIFA ($40)
This workshop is brought to you by the Open Source - Open Libraries Consortium
If you are the System Administrator or Systems Librarian at your library and you've been thinking seriously about Open Source Library System options like Koha or Evergreen you'd probably like to take a peek under the hood. With open source software, you can do just that! Rather than just hear or read about open source products, with Evergreen and Koha you can actually try them out for yourself!
As a result of this all day, hands-on workshop attendees will:
- Know the basic workflow and components of a Koha system.
- Understand the basic steps involved in importing data into Koha.
- Understand when to use Global System Preferences versus local library preferences.
- Be able to set up patrons including defining patron types, defining fields, defaults and authorized values.
- Be able to set-up circulation rules.
- Configure cataloging and acquisitions set-up.
- Have experience using Admin features that are useful after initial system set-up.
- Be able to access library data using reports and queries.
Workshop Description: This is a one-day, hands-on workshop. Each attendee will access a Koha server using their own Wi-Fi equipped laptop. No previous Linux experience is required, but system administrator experience is strongly encouraged. The instructor will introduce all aspects of Koha administration with a focus on setting up the system for your library. Important global and local preferences and how they affect the options available to each library will be introduced. Set-up and administration of circulation, patrons, cataloging and acquisitions and serials will also be covered.
Each student will act as the Local Administrator for their own example library to see first-hand the options they control versus options controlled at the Global Preferences settings.
Preliminary Course Outline
- Module One
- Introduction to Koha: Basic system workflow
- Global vs. local preferences
- Setting up circulation for each library/branch
- Item types and authorized values
- Setting up patrons
- Setting up cataloging and acquisitions
- Module Two
- Adding new patrons
- Using circulation interface with the public
- Handling fines and fees
- Circulation reports
- Module Three
- Copy cataloging
- Original cataloging
- Importing records from an outside source
- Tracking orders
- Managing serials
- Module Four
- Key Linux commands
- Using the Reports module
- Managing patron-contributed content
- Migration issues
About the Instructor: Brendan Gallagher is a librarian and an expert on installation, data migration, and customization of many open source platforms. Brendan lead the design and implementation for the Bibliomation Consortium open-source integrated library system project and has been the lead project director for many successful open-source initiatives. He is the CEO and Director Innovation of ByWater Solutions.
Who Should Attend: This course is designed for a technical audience comfortable with ILS system administration tasks.
What Attendees Should Bring With Them: Each attendee must bring their own laptop and be prepared to connect wirelessly to the Evergreen server that the instructor will provide. If more than one person is coming from a library, they can share a laptop. Also, bring your own thermos for water. No bottled water, coffee or food will be provided.
Check-in: 8:30 to 9:00 AM Instruction: 9:00 AM to 4:30 PM
If you would like to subscribe via RSS and be notified whenever new Infopeople training events are available, you can use these links:
**For new on-ground or online workshops: infopeople.org/workshop/rss
**For new podcasts: feeds.feedburner.com/InfopeoplePodcasts